Sunday, May 1, 2011

Thoughts

Hello,

What, it's been almost six months since posting. Yikes!!

I've been through a lot in the last six months so blogging has not been on my mind. My health has really put some prospective on my life, faith and direction. I really want to help people live better. I'm not an expert or doctor but I do know that eating real food is the best way to a healthy life. I intend to find ways to eat better and be more green. This is the goal of my entire family which really helps to have them on board. My health limits me so hopefully I'll get over that hump, blog more and share how I will overcome my challenges. If it inspires you to be healthier then I've accomplished my goal.

Today I'm making some broiled fish but in this Arizona heat outside grilling would be the best. We are out of fuel so we won't be able to do that today. It's a nice day so it should be okay since the air conditioner is off. I'm going to make rice pilaf from scratch and green beans that are frozen. I like to use fresh but they didn't look so good. Fresh is a little more money but really not much more. They sell for about $1.99 lb on sale and frozen was a little less. You get better beans buying fresh. If you can swing organic this is always better. I'll post the rice pilaf recipe later.

Okay here it is:

Rice Pilaf

2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup orzo pasta
1/2 cup diced onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup uncooked white rice
2 cups chicken broth

Melt the butter in a skillet over medium-low heat. Cook and stir orzo pasta until golden brown. Stir in onion and cook until onion becomes translucent. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute but don't burn it. Mix in the rice and chicken broth. Increase heat to high bringing it to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to a simmer until the rice is tender, and the liquid has been absorbed for about 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork.

Now I didn't have any Orzo so I broke up Angel Hair pasta into tiny pieces and used that instead.
TTFN

No comments: