Sunday, July 25, 2010

Menu & Recipes

Hello,
I’ve been quite busy lately and have had no time to post. I really need to learn to balance both better since the very thing I want to share is what I’m doing at home. I know I promised recipes and because I took no pictures of my creations I have used this as a reason not to post them. This is so not fair to you. I will post the recipes despite this minor little flaw.

I haven’t felt well for quite a while so I’m very behind in sharing. I made quite a nice variation.

The meals I’ve made so far are as follows:

Baked Smoked Gouda Ziti

This recipe came from a website online. I didn’t follow it completely.

Ingredients

1 Box of Ziti Pasta
1 red pepper chopped in smaller pieces
1 package of mushrooms
½ large onion or 1 med chopped in smaller pieces
Fresh Basil
6 cups of Fresh Spinach
1 cup of chicken stock or broth
6 cloves garlic finely chopped
3 cans of diced tomato
2 tbs Olive oil
1 ¼ cup of smoked Gouda Cheese (reserve ¼ cup for topping)

Preheat oven 375 degrees. Bring water to a boil for pasta and cook to them according to the package al dente. In a separate pan add olive oil to a hot pan and add garlic to the hot oil, don’t burn the oil or garlic or you will have to start over. Add peppers, onion, mushroom and sautéed them once they are somewhat soft add the tomatoes, spinach and basil and chicken stock and simmer. Once the spinach is cooked down add the gouda cheese but reserved ¼ cup of cheese. Mix this all together in the same pan and add to a baking dish, top with the remaining cheese and you have a delish meal. Bake for about 20-30 minutes. I usually just like it warmed through and cheesey. If you like a little crust then you want it in longer.

You can substitute other vegetables or add more spinach. I would rather use fresh tomatoes but couldn’t at the time I made this. I doubled this recipe and my family loved it. The Gouda Cheese is pricey but I found some at a good price. You could use ½ Gouda and ¼ Mozarella and make a nice medley.

Sweet & Sour Meatballs
Sweet & Sour Chicken
Steak Sandwiches

Ingredients
3 lbs of cube steak
2 tbs. All Season Salt
Worcheshire Sauce
6 to 8 tbs. Butter
½ each red and green pepper sliced in stripes
1 onion sliced in stripes
1 cup of chopped mushrooms
½ cup Mozzarella Cheese

Put two tbs. of butter in a fry pan and once melted add onions, peppers and mushrooms and cook them until carmelized. Remove them from the pan.

When the vegetables are cooking slice the cube steak going with the grain of the meat. Slice them long ways into stripes. Add the seasoning salt on the top of the meat. Using the same pan the vegetables were in add 2 tbs. of butter. Add the meat with the seasoned side down in one layer, add the season salt to the side not seasoned while cooking the seasoned side. Flip the meat when the side is done, don’t stir it. Now that the other side is cooking, once it is done add the worchestshire sauce and a little more butter 2 tbs. is good. I like lots in my meat. Yumm… Add hot sauce of your choice about 4 – 6 drops. Add the vegetables back into the meat and let simmer for about 5-10 minutes stirring to combine all of the ingredients. While you are doing that butter your hoagie rolls and grill them until toasted. Add your mixture and then top with mozzarella cheese. You are ready to serve.

You will have leftovers. I vamped up the recipe from Pioneer Woman.com and added my own variation. I don’t use all the butter simply because it’s high in calories and not necessary, it’s still yummy without all the butter. We don’t like to eat a whole bunch of that. The veges are a nice addition too and if you like steak sandwiches you may like it more. You don’t need to toast or butter the hoagie rolls. You can use more cheese if you need to but you just need a sprinkle of it.

Chicken Enchiladas

Ingredients
2 lbs of Chicken tenders or breasts boneless
1 cup of cheese cheddar shredded
½ med onion chopped
2 Bay leaf
Salt & pepper to taste
1 tsp Cumin
1 tsp Thyme
20-24 Corn Tortillas
1 large can of red or green enchilada sauce we love green
Vegetable oil ¼ cup refill as needed

I boil my chicken pieces in water and add bay leaf, salt & pepper, cumin and thyme. I boil for about an hour and remove the chicken from the pot. It falls apart easily and I shred it by hand and set aside. Preheat oven at 375 degrees and use two baking pans. Put about ¼ to ½ cups of vegetable oil in a fry pan and heat on med to high heat. Give each tortilla a bath in the hot oil and set each aside. It softens the tortilla and it is important. I’ve tried it other ways but this is the best. You only leave each tortilla in for a minute and remove. After I am done with the tortillas I begin to roll them. I add a little onion to the chicken on the edge of each tortilla and roll putting them into the baking dish. You can add cheese to some of them if you want a little variety but I don’t measure. Don’t make them too fat or you will run out of chicken. After I roll them and get them into the pans I top them with the green sauce and a little cheese. I bake one and freeze the other prior to cooking. Bake them for about 20-30 minutes and top with sour cream. Yummy! I serve homemade beans and rice with them.


Bean Tostadas
Beef Tacos
Crab Sandwiches
Meatball Sandwiches
Lasagna
Burritos with Beans and Taco Meat
Spicy Cajun Chicken Pasta

Okay so most of these aren’t that big of a deal… I doubled a few so that we have meals for other nights. The Lasagna was made for this coming Monday but I made it when I made the Meatball Sandwiches since I was cooking that kind of meal.

I wish I could say that I can feed a family of 6 on $375 like some other people do but really I’m pretty frugal and still have yet to do that. I guess it may be because I have adult eaters. More recipes to follow when I feel a little better.

No comments: